Monday, April 16, 2007

Annette's Visit to London (part I)

After sending Wes on to check it out, I (Annette) decided to head over for a visit. When I arrived Thursday morning, Wes met me at Paddington station and we dropped my stuff of at the apartment. Then, I walked with him to his class and headed off for a day to entertain myself while Wes was in class from 9 to 5. I visited the National Gallery in the morning, met Wes for lunch, and then headed to the British Museum in the afternoon. It was a perfectly beautiful spring day in London - you could not ask for better weather.











The next day (Friday), we went to Knightsbridge to see the museums and, of course, visit Harrod's. We spent the morning at the Natural History Museum, stopped at the V&A for a quick look before lunch, and then hit Harrod's in the afternoon. In the evening, we went with Seth and Tisha and some of their friends to Brick Lane, a strip of Indian food restaurants.










Saturday we got a bit of a later start as the jet lag was finally catching up with me. We hit the Tate Modern before lunch as I had heard it was good. Generally we are not fans of modern art, but they did have a very good collection and it was interesting to see all the different styles. Some of it was just stupid (a single pink fluorescent bulb at an angle is not art), but a lot of it was quite good. After that, we walked around the area a bit and then went to the market at Portobello Road. There was an eclectic mix of goods available - many of them the same things we have seen in the markets of Thailand for 1/5 the price. We ended the day with a little TV back at the apartment as we had an early start for the flight on Sunday.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just looked at the pictures of your latest travels and enjoyed it as usual. Thanks for getting it posted so quickly - glad that you had such a good time.

Angela said...

Did you go down the slide at the TATE? How much fun... thanks for the great pics.